Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I'm a Big Girl Now

Mylie officially became a big girl last night.  She made a decision.  A BIG decision, all on her own.  And it almost made me cry watching my baby girl stick to it--to something she really, really wanted!

Sunday evening Mylie got into my jewelry box.  When I caught her she explained to me that she just wanted to wear some earrings.  I told her she couldn't wear my earrings because her ears weren't pierced.  She proceeded to BEG to go get her ears pierced...even AFTER I explained the process to her and told her it was going to hurt!  We agreed that she could get her ears pierced the next day.

Monday morning rolled around and Mylie certainly hadn't forgotten our conversation.  She talked about it with Daddy before he left for work, then we decided we would do it while he was at work.  As we're getting ready for the day she said, "I don't want to get my ears pierced now."  I asked why and she said she was too scared. 

When Daddy came home she changed her mind again.  So for Family Home Evening we went to Victoria Gardens and found Claire's.  When the ear piercing girl came, Mylie got scared again and ran away! Richie assured her that she did not have to get her ears pierced if she didn't want to.  Through tears and I'm sure internal torment, Mylie said she still wanted to do it.  She continued to whimper but was determined to get earrings in those lobes.

We waited until she was really ready and she chose to sit on Daddy's lap and hold a teddy bear for the event...and here you see it, play by play...

She was soooo scared!


Cleaning the ears.

Marking the spots to pierce the ears.

Trying really hard to smile!

Closer up of her trying hard to smile...

And BAM!  Left earring in, no tears!  Second earring, here it comes!

And then the tears flowed freely and immediately.
 But I couldn't believe how brave she was!  She was completely still for the whole process, and even though she knew it was going to hurt and was scared to death, she stuck with her decision.  I couldn't believe it.  To me that says a lot about her character.  I hope her decision making is this strong during her teenage years...I mean as long as her decisions are GOOD! 
She was all smiles after wards, but obviously not for the camera. 
She was happy to get her regular strawberry ice cream
mixed with M&M's.

And there's the beautiful earring!
I will eventually get her smiling with those beauty's.  Mylie girl, you amaze me and I just love you to pieces.  But you're growing up SO fast!  Stop that!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember when Tess went through the same pain. Those ear rings are too cute!!

Mommas said...

Wow, what a story. I want to hug her! What an amazing little girl. And I must admit the ear rings are cute, but not as cute as Mylie herself!

Kathryn said...

Love them. She looks so cute!

Joni said...

I can say "DITTO"...your story almost to a T! Same age too, I think. Love the pics...she is so precious! Can't wait to give that girl a hug!